Is your storage unit looking a little like this one–ridiculously unorganized? You need to take a load off your mind and organize your storage unit so you can actually find what you need! I don’t know about you, but I feel better when my spaces are organized. Even the storage unit! Here are some tips to help you organize yours once and for all.
How to Organize Your Storage Unit
It is infinitely better to start fresh when you need to organize anything, and that goes double for your storage unit. So start by going through everything. Get rid of what you don’t need, and the stuff that isn’t worth paying to store. And then if you can, pull everything out. I know it’s a pain, but it really is the most effective way to get your stuff organized for good.
Now that everything is whittled down to the things worth storing, you need to organize your stuff so you can access it and use it when needed. Here are the tips to help organize your storage unit:
- No matter what type of boxes or plastic totes you use to hold your stuff, see if you can make it uniform. Use the same size box for most everything. You may have a few extra-large items, but for the bulk of your stuff this will work. Uniform boxes make it easier to store and stack them. Did you know boxes are Marie Kondo’s favorite organizing tool?
- Before you pack stuff up, make note of all the things that you may need to access. These items may include seasonal clothing, camping gear, or important documents. Label all the boxes accordingly, so you can make sure you place them front and center in your unit.
- Labeling is extra important for a storage unit, especially for boxes you can’t see through. Label each box with the items that are in it. You can include which room of your house they typically belong. You can also label the boxes with the name of the person the items belong to. Sharpies are still the quickest and easiest way to label your boxes.
- Number your boxes. Write a short description of what is in each box on a list, and keep the list at home. That way, you can know which box you need before even head to the unit. At the unit, have a map tacked on the wall of where numbered boxes are located. This saves a ton of time!
- Plan out how to organize your storage unit. Include an access path for when you need to retrieve something. If your unit is too small to let you keep an open path, you might consider switching to a larger storage unit.
- Use sturdy shelves to stack and organize more boxes.
It’s an undertaking to organize your storage unit, but definitely worth it. Do have any tips you’d like to share?