Got mold in shower grout? Yuck! In a wet area like your shower, having a good bead of caulk in all the necessary spots is super important. After all, you certainly don’t need water getting behind the tile and causing mold or water damage. When your caulk looks good, your shower can look super clean even if your tile is old. But when your caulk gets old and gross, it can also allow mold in shower grout and make the whole area look awful. Here’s a simple mold remover technique that will help you clean it up pronto.
1. What You Need
You only need some basic supplies: bleach, water, a bowl, a pair of rubber gloves, some cotton balls (or a long cotton coil for a large area), and a protective mask. Most of this mold remover stuff is probably already in your home.
2. Make a Bleach Mixture
First off, remember that you must never mix bleach with any other household cleaner or chemical. Here, you’re only going to mix it with water. Get your big bowl and fill it halfway or so. Then don your gloves and mask, and open a window. Once you’re protected and the space is ventilated, add a little bleach to the water. It won’t take a whole lot; aim for about 1 part bleach to 10 parts water.
3. Soak Your Cotton & Let it Work
Grab your cotton balls or cotton coil and dip them into the bleach mixture. Get them soaked pretty well but not drenched, and then apply the cotton directly to the moldy areas. Keep going until you’ve covered all the spots you need to clean, including around the tub and up the corners of your shower. Since the cotton is wet, it should even stick to the walls. Just start at the top and work your way down. You can stretch out your cotton balls a little if that helps you cover more area. Leave the cotton in place for 2 to 4 hours, or until the mold is gone. Keep the window open and the door closed as it works.
4. Air Dry
As soon as the mold is gone, put your gloves back on and remove the cotton balls. Discard them in an airtight bag that won’t let the fumes escape. Let the area air dry. After that, you don’t need to rinse, but you can if you want to banish the bleach smell.
Deborah Hill says
Awesome blog! Mold on tile grout is unsightly, to say the least. It is typically caused by bacteria (that we all have growing in our bathrooms) combined with the hot